Monday, October 15, 2007

Save Mother Earth

Today is BLOG ACTION DAY with the theme ENVIRONMENT. For weeks now, I find myself incorporating the line "Save Mother Earth" in every applicable situation. If you have seen the documentary of Al Gore, An Incovenient Truth addressing the issue of global warming, you will be freaked as I was when I first saw it. It is alarming how we take little notice of our environment when every little thing counts.
What can we do to help? Here are some of the things I do:

1. Recycle. From used paper to paper bags to plastic containers to water.

* Used paper - My desk looks like a junk haven with all the used paper I keep so I can re-use the clean side for photocopying, as scratch paper, as fax paper, etc. When both sides are filled, I shred them so one of my bosses can use the shredded paper in his farm.

* Paper bag - I have a space in my closet for used paper bags and plastic bags. I promise to bring an extra paper bag when I go grocery shopping next time.

* Water - When washing dishes, make sure there's a basin in the sink so excess water can later be used to clean the bathroom floor or toilet bowl.

2. Unplug electronics from the wall socket when not in use. Did you know that even when appliances are turned off, they consume energy when plugged?

3. Minimize air conditioning. It's a good thing I can't stand a cold, cold room. When the room is already cold, I shut off the air conditioning and use electric fan instead.

4. Walk. When going to a place nearby, walk instead of riding a car. You save on gas and help eliminate carbon dioxide emission, you even burn calories!

5. Spread the word. Even to kids like my young cousins, I teach them to learn how to save and be earth-friendly.

How about you? What do you do to help?

No comments: